I’ve been hearing about the re-release of the Mirror Ball Dot fabric line for the last couple of weeks. Today I found a blog post about it – here. I am reminded of the quilts that I made with the original line. So here’s the story …
My sister and my mom both bought kits (called Good Cents) with the entire original line of the Mirror Ball Dot fabric. I loved the fabric, but I’m just not a pattern kind of a girl. So, I told them that I’d like to have all of their scraps. The next time that I visited my mom, there on the dresser was a bag of scraps. To clarify, there on the dresser was a sandwich-sized bag of the shreds of fabric that they trimmed to straighten their cuts. Oh, my sister is SO funny! Hidden away in the sewing room was the real bag of scraps! Well, I couldn’t let my sister have the last laugh, so I made a quilt from her ‘scraps’.
This quilt is only 7″x10″. I guess I really did get the last laugh, because I gave my sister this quilt and borrowed it back later to put in a show. Somehow, I am still in possession of the quilt (until she sees this)! I made a king-size quilt for my bed, but I now realize that I don’t have a picture of it. I’ll have to take one and post that next.
There may be another Mirror Ball Dot quilt in my future ….
My entry for the McCall’s Design Star competition is due by mid-night tonight. I actually sent mine in last week – miracles never cease. It’s has been really nice to enjoy these last few days knowing that I didn’t have to stress over a deadline. I need work ahead more often!
This is the sample of the Amish Star Block that I made after I finished the top. I did this to show how the block translates to the final design.
Amish Star Block
In making this quilt, I discovered just how dense the Shades of Grey fabric is. I used one to make the circle in the background of the quilt. I made the bias strip and realized it would be very difficult to make it conform to the shape I needed. Starch to the rescue! I just lightly sprayed the strip with starch and pressed it directly on my full scale pattern to get it to conform to the arc. It worked very well! I used the same method to shape the applique in the center of the quilt – it is also fabric from the Shades of Grey line.
This is also the first time I used a Frixion pen on a quilt top. I used it to transfer my design on to the background. Then I was easily able to place the applique pieces on; sew them down; and iron to remove the marking. I think I’m sold. I definitely try it again.
Voting begins Tuesday, June 19th. I’ll add a button to vote once the quilts are available for voting. In the meantime, here’s my entry.
Design Star - Challenge 1: "Solar Flare"
The designers that entered the amateur contest were given the Amish Star block to use as the basis for this first challenge. As usual, my first step was to pull out my graph paper. I have software for this, but I still prefer pencil and paper! This is my first sketch.
Amish Star Sketch - Changing Lines
I knew that I wanted to try changing some of the straight lines to curves. I started overlaying my sketch with curves lines. From there, it really didn’t take long to come up with my basic design.
Solar Flare - Original Sketch
A few changes have been made from that original sketch.
I knew I didn’t have time to hand applique or piece this, so I went with machine applique. I basically used the method I learned in a workshop by Sharon Schamber. Luckily, I have a friend that had some of Sharon’s Applique Stabilizer that she was happy to share!
So, one of my sisters suggested that I enter the McCall’s Design Star challenge a few months ago. I had a quilt that I could easily enter, so I thought “why not”. I uploaded the photo and entered the amateur category along with 140+ other quilters. This is the quilt that I entered.
Design Star Initial Entry Quilt
The entries were cut to 15. Those fifteen remaining quilters now have to make a quilt top based on the Amish Star block. The entries are due in a couple of days. I submitted mine last night … amazing! I am usually down to the wire on projects like this. Even if I finish early, I’m usually submitting it right before the deadline! After I finished the top, I made the traditional Amish Star block using the fabrics that I used in the challenge piece. That way, when I show it people can see how the pieces translate from the traditional to the new design. This the my version of the traditional block.
Traditional Amish Star Block